HELP KEEP YOUR CHILDREN SAFE.
Drowning can happen nearly anywhere with standing water. But, as a parent or caregiver, you can’t keep your children sidelined. You need to equip them with the tools they need to be confident in and around water so they don’t lose out on the health benefits of exercise, the opportunities to bond with family and friends and the sense of accomplishment when they learn new skills.
There is a reason the Y is referred to as America’s Favorite Swim Instructor. In Y Swim Lessons, not only are you taught how to swim, but you also learn about yourself, about safety and rescue skills, and about water activities you can enjoy for a lifetime. Instruction is caring and personalized. A variety of classes are available to meet your family’s needs. Class size is determined by considering safety factors and the age of the participants, making sure classes don’t get too big to be uncomfortable.
REGISTRATION FOR GROUP SWIM LESSONS IS NOW OPEN FOR JANUARY 2021. See schedule below.
Y Members $60 · Non-Members $80
- January 4- January 28, 2021
- February 1- February 25, 2021
- March 8- April 1, 2021
Register at the Front Desk or Online *Financial Assistance Available
Swim Starters: Accompanied by a parent, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision. Children must wear swim diapers – No regular diapers, please.
Swim Basic Water Acclimation: This is a child’s first experience in the pool without parental assistance! Intro skills and safety, the building blocks of swimming, are taught. Games that use basic movements such as kicking, arm strokes, and breath control are implemented.
Swim Basics: Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills: – Swim, float, swim—sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide, and exit – Jump, push, turn, grab
Swim Strokes (Stroke Development) – Next level of YMCA swim lessons. Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
- If the YMCA has to cancel a lesson, make ups will be held on Friday.
- At least 3 people must be signed up or the class will be cancelled.
- Formation: Minimum of 3 students required for class to start.
- Schedule: Classes meet twice a week, for four weeks. 8 classes in total.
- Placement: Students will be grouped the first day of lessons, based upon skill level.
- Cancellations: Missed classes will not be made up. If weather or a pool closing forces cancellation of a class, the class will be made up on a Friday.
- Locker Rooms: Families with children are asked to use the Family Restrooms for changing clothes, no youth allowed in Adult Locker Rooms, and no adults allowed in Youth Locker Rooms.
WE ALSO OFFER PRIVATE LESSONS: PLEASE SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE FOR THE LINK TO THE REGISTRATION FORM
(opens new page)
SAFETY AROUND THE WATER INFORMATION (opens new page)
LESSON SELECTOR GUIDE (opens new page)
ACHIEVEMENT TRACKER (opens new page)
Ready to register? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER ONLINE OR print the forms below and bring to the Y.
Advanced Lessons: Youth through adult. Adults interested in triathlon competition, or wanting to improve their times. Youth interested in improving technique and speed. Private and group lessons can be arranged. Please contact the Aquatics Department for more information: email@example.com or 843.522.9622 ext. 236