At the Beaufort-Jasper YMCA of the Lowcountry, we take your health and safety very seriously. The respiratory illness Coronavirus has spread across the world, and now officials in the U.S. have warned that we might see an outbreak across the United States. When a serious health issue arises, our staff team comes together to reassess our strategies to keep our members and staff healthy.
We understand people may worry about the new Coronavirus. In today’s connected world, an outbreak anywhere can be a risk everywhere. Risk is dependent on exposure.
While CDC considers the Coronavirus a serious situation and is taking preparedness measures, the immediate risk in the U.S. is considered low. Basic hygiene is the best thing you can do. Everyone should always take simple daily precautions to help prevent the spread of all respiratory illnesses:
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap or use a hand sanitizer that contains alcohol.
- Sneeze and cough into tissues.
- If you get mucus or spit on your skin, clean it off right away.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, especially people exhibiting respiratory symptoms and fever.
- Stay home when you’re sick.
- Regularly and thoroughly clean surfaces, such as counter tops and doorknobs, with a disinfectant.
The coronavirus is spread through respiratory vapor, such as when someone sneezes or coughs into the air around you. Influenza viruses and common cold viruses are also spread this way.
At the Wardle Family YMCA, these are some precautions and actions that we are initiating:
YMCA staff that are ill will be sent home and asked to stay out of work until they are symptom free.
- We are asking members who may be ill with a contagious condition to stay home and return to the Y when they are feeling better.
- YMCA staff that are ill will be sent home and asked to stay out of work until they are symptom free.
- We are asking that any members or staff the contract the Coronavirus contact us to let us know so we can follow protocol.
- Additional hand-sanitizer is available to all. We’re have added a hospital-grade sanitizer to all our spray bottles in fitness centers.
- We are asking all members to clean equipment BEFORE and AFTER workouts, with the antibacterial spray that we provide.
- Our staff will be cleaning doorknobs, light switches, counter tops, equipment, handles, weights, etc.
- We will communicate via social media, email blast, and our website of any closing or cancellation of programs.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
Beaufort-Jasper YMCA of the Lowcountry